HM’s Uttarpara (UTP) facility was established in 1948 and developed as a fully integrated automotive industrial complex and township. For many decades this plant has been a significant contributor to the State of West Bengal by bringing in technology and capital, generating direct and indirect employment and contributing through direct and indirect Taxes. Post liberalization and opening up of the economy, this unit handicapped by legacy costs and systems, experienced a whole new set of challenges and sustained financial stress. Given this backdrop, to fund the expansion and diversification program, HM had applied to the State Government, seeking permission for alternate use of 314 acres.
It has been reported that West Bengal Govt. through a communiqué to a syndicated news agency, has indicated that the above application is being approved, under the West Bengal Industrial Renewal Scheme 2001 and as per West Bengal Land Reforms Act 1955. The company is awaiting formal communication.
The company’s application envisages development of 314 acres of land, over a 4-5 year period, into a World Class Integrated IT & ITES Township and Auto Ancillary Park. IT, ITES and Auto Ancillary are three of the fastest growing sectors and such a development will also maximize socio-economic benefits to Uttarpara and the neighbouring belts.